POSTED BY on 3:34 PM under Conferences
The SVS International Liturgical Symposium took place on January 29-31, 2009. It featured preeminent theologians from Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant traditions from major universities, and was held in honor of The Rt. Rev. Alexander Schmemann (d. 1983), who served as dean of St. Vladimir’s Seminary for more than twenty years. Fr. Schmemann is best known for his writings on liturgy and sacramental life, which have influenced all branches of Christianity, in the practice of worship as well as in the academic realm.
The keynote speaker was Robert F. Taft, S.J.
Other speakers include:
- The Rt. Rev. Archimandrite Job (Getcha)—former Dean of St. Sergius Theological Institute, Paris;
- The Rev. Dr. Stephanos Alexopoulos—Professor at the International Center for Hellenic and Mediterranean Studies, Athens, Greece;
- Sr. Vassa Larin, nun of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad; currently teaching Liturgical Studies at the University of Vienna;
- Dr. Bryan D. Spinks—Professor of Liturgical Studies, Yale Divinity School;
- Dr. Michael Aune—Dean of the Faculty, Dean of the Chapel, Professor of Liturgical and Historical Studies at Pacific Lutheran Seminary, and Core Doctoral Faculty in Liturgical Studies at General Theological Union;
- Dr. David W. Fagerberg—Associate Professor in the Department of Theology, University of Notre Dame.
Read more about the Symposium here.For your convenience, you may also download these in iTunes or via RSS as a podcast:
The symposium began with a welcome from Saint Vladimir's Chancellor, Fr. Chad Hatfield, followed by opening remarks from Dr. Paul Meyendorff and His Grace, The Rt. Rev. Maxim (Vasiljevic), Bishop of the Western Diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Church in North and South America.