POSTED BY on 1:56 PM under ,
Back before he went all weird (Geocentrism, Fundamentalist 6-day Creationism, etc.), Dr. Sungenis did some pretty good Apologetics work. Some of his debates are definitely worth listening to. Well...I'm sure he still does good work, but no one listens now because they perceive him as having gone off the deep end. I mean...Geocentrism? Really?

In any event, he's the author of some outstanding books (Not by Bread Alone, Not by Faith Alone, and Not by Scripture Alone). His book Not by Faith Alone was so good, in fact, that EWTN had him on for a series about Justification.

After Dr. Sungenis firmly adopted his novel scientific positions, EWTN decided to distance themselves and have removed his entries from their archives. Having listened to them, I definitely think they're good enough to share. That said, here are the MP3s of his EWTN series on Justification:

just_3.mp3


just_5.mp3


just_6.mp3


just_7.mp3


just_8.mp3


just_9.mp3


just_10.mp3
just_11.mp3
just_12.mp3
just_13.mp3
just_14.mp3
just_15.mp3
just_16.mp3
just_17.mp3
just_18.mp3

UPDATE: If you enjoy these, please consider purchasing MP3s (including the "missing" episodes from the above series) from his apostolate at his online store.
15 comments so far:
    James H August 18, 2007 at 11:26 PM , said...

    Thi is a great blog. I am going to as it tomorrow. Do you know where I can look for episodes 1, 2, and 4 of the justification series

     
    Catholic Audio August 18, 2007 at 11:47 PM , said...

    I'm afraid not -- I really wish I could find them.

    Honestly, though, it doesn't feel like you miss much by missing those three. By the end of it, you should have a fairly firm grasp on Justification. If not, as I said, his book is quite good.

    God Bless!

     
    James H August 19, 2007 at 5:17 PM , said...

    OH yeah I really enjoyed his books. I agree with you that is a must have. I so wish he would sort of come back more into the mainstream

     
    Anonymous December 29, 2007 at 1:32 PM , said...

    I'm with you James but it doesn't look good. He can't even get imprimaturs on his books now.

    :-(

    It's been horrible watching the downward spiral. He's going to have to do a lot of convincing after everything that's gone down for him to get back in the mainstream.

    I can't imagine EWTN ever taking a chance on him again.

    Dang.

    http://cadl.blogspot.com/2007/12/infamous-video.html

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Sungenis

     
    Unknown March 26, 2008 at 7:37 AM , said...

    I think Robert is doing an excellent job. I would wager he knows a lot more about evolution and heliocentrism than you. Infact, if you are so certain of your opinions, why don't you challenge him to a debate?

     
    Catholic Audio March 26, 2008 at 9:38 AM , said...

    David,

    I'm purposefully agnostic about the origins controversies - I'll go where the evidences show. Right now it appears the Evolution (with all its problems) has the lead, though it notably has no answer regarding abiogenesis...

    Regarding geocentrism...I'm not going to try to debate him because I don't see the point. Nothing I have to say is going to change his mind and the folks who believe him regarding geocentrism aren't believing based in reason anyway. So again, I don't see the point. While he may have read a few books on the subject (as have I), he's not a quantum physicist, classical physicist, mathematician, astronomer or cosmologist, so I don't find affording him carte blanch expertise in those fields as being appropriate. He thinks they're all profoundly dumb - I think it can be assumed that they return the notion.

    Finally, as I've already said, I respect the work he has done and is doing in apologetics. While he's without a doubt a strong author and speaker, he's simply not going to be taken seriously by inquiring folks when he's shouting geocentrism from the rooftops. Regardless of the validity of his position, as a tactical matter in evangelism it's a remarkably bad ploy.

    God Bless,
    Ryan

     
    Unknown March 26, 2008 at 11:05 AM , said...

    Hi Ryan,

    Thank you for your response.

    It is actually quite hard to respond to you because I really respect your work/site, and don't want to detract from that.

    However, I do feel strongly about certain issues.

    I think evolution is absurd. Darwin said, the fossil record will substantiate his claim...no! it does not.

    The fossil record proves the global flood, not evolution.

    Evolution has no lead, except via propaganda in our school system/corporate controlled media.

    If you have a 10 cent coin in your pocket, and you know it, if a million people tell you that it is a $1 coin, how sure will you be? That is the effect of mass opinion upon our imagination.

    Blaise Pascal alluded to this effect imagination has upon reason in his book Pensees (the Philosopher on the plank).

    My contention is most catholics sidestep these hard issues, and it is to our detriment. Protestants often display much greater faith in God's word, and guess what? They are receiving many more converts than us!

    I'm not sure if you have read William Thomas Walsh's work? I didn't hear about the illumnati in school, did you?

    How about 9/11? Have you REALLY studied that? Bohemian Grove? Skull and Bones? Eugenics? Vaccinations? The origin of the Federal Reserve? The New World Order?

    Evolution is satanic, ultimately its philosophy is "Might is Right".

    Ewtn is asleep, I agree with Robert. Infact, most catholics are asleep.

    I could go on, but this is not the place. Please feel free to email if you would like to discuss more.

    Again, thank you for your wonderful work here, but I must respectfully disagree with your opinion on Robert.

    Gloria In Te Domine!

     
    Unknown March 26, 2008 at 11:16 AM , said...

    Btw...I introduced an intelligent colleague (highly qualified) to Robert's geocentric views, and he was fascinated.

    It is a Catholic tradition to always respect human reason. We should not hide truth under a bushel.

     
    Catholic Audio March 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM , said...

    David,

    First, thank you for your comments about my blog. I attribute the lion's share of credit to the speakers, though -- I try to stay out of the matter as much as possible unless I think my comments would be extremely helpful.

    Second, I'd remind you of the virtue of Prudence. True, the truth doesn't change whether it's popular or not. True, we are called to be faithful to the truth. The question remains, however, as to what the most important truths are in the hierarchy of truths. Personally, I would place geocentrism and evolution FAR below the Divinity of Christ, the character of the Church, the centrality of grace and the essentiality of the sacraments. Of course, YMMV.

    My point is that regardless of the validity of his points in other arenas, it severely cripples his evangelism if he's viewed as a loon. Conspiracy theories may have their place and all academia may be wrong, but if true it will be found out eventually - that war doesn't need to be fought by believers, further perpetuating the science vs. faith canard.

    Prudence, I believe, would say save souls first.

    God Bless,
    Ryan

     
    Laurence G. April 9, 2008 at 3:10 PM , said...

    These "missing" are now available on the BTF/CAI website. I know, because I made them available.

    Laurence
    CAI/BTF Media Director

     
    Anonymous June 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM , said...

    I guess you guys consider the EWTN the Magisterium of something huh?

    If EWTN doesn't want him he MUST be bad, right?

     
    Anonymous October 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM , said...

    Why say " I mean...Geocentrism? Really?"??

    Do you have absolute proof it is wrong? if so, what of the saints,Popes,etc he qutes supproting Geocentrism??? rather unintellectual to just wave it off.

    Mainstream peop, James, tended to get washed downstream and over the cliff.same for those in middle of road...

     
    Anonymous October 30, 2009 at 12:29 PM , said...

    "I'm purposefully agnostic about the origins controversies - I'll go where the evidences show. Right now it appears the Evolution (with all its problems) has the lead, though it notably has no answer regarding abiogenesis..."

    This is NOt a Catholci position at all, maybe we should cal this site Cool, hip and Catholiclite (looking at your choices to link and post, it is neoconny, mainstream 'everything is great' anyway.soon to roll over for anyone)

     
    Chris Campbell October 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM , said...

    Thanks Laurence, and, if anyone wants to debate Robert, see me....my email is at Robert's site...pu in header "debate", will run it by Robert for his yea or nay...

     
    Rocks for Brains October 13, 2010 at 7:56 PM , said...

    David:

    Darwin actually said that the fossil record was his theory's greatest liability.

    He was right and Stephen Jay Gould confirmed this when he said that the stunning absence of transition forms was a "trade secret."

     

Copyright Sonitus Sanctus | Using the GreenTech Theme | Bloggerized by Falcon Hive.com