POSTED BY on 10:12 PM under



For some unknown reason, a number of folks out there insist on encoding audio files in .wma, .wav or RealAudio format rather than MP3.

It drives me nuts.

Since I'm kind of an average Joe, you're probably like me. To that end, here are a couple of ways to convert these files to MP3 format:

Streambox Ripper (.zip file). It's a freeware program and it has a drag-and-drop format, which I like.

An alternate freeware program is Switch (.exe file). I haven't tried it yet, but it has been recommended to me so I'm offering it as an alternative to Streambox Ripper.

If you're all about spending money, there are plenty of commercial products out there which do the same thing. Google for "convert realaudio to mp3" and I'm sure you'll get a ton of other options.

God Bless.

UPDATE:

Lately, I've been using a freeware conversion program that's capable of converting .flv (YouTube format), .wma, .rar, etc. to MP3. One of the neat things about this program is that you don't have to download the file -- you simply copy and paste the URL and the program will download and convert it on its own. If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, here's the link:
9 comments so far:
    Karlton August 18, 2007 at 2:30 PM , said...

    I just tried Switch, and it works perfectly. You've just opened up EWTN's vast library to this convert's portable device - Many thanks!

     
    Catholic Audio September 3, 2007 at 10:22 AM , said...

    My pleasure!

     
    Anonymous September 7, 2007 at 9:15 AM , said...

    I have used a free online source to convert files. http://www.media-convert.com/
    The neat thing about this website is that you can either upload your file(s) or you can just input the URL of where the file is located (i.e. EWTN's realaudio file location) and the website will download the file to its site, convert it and then allow you to download it to your computer. It seems to work okay for me....Leonard

     
    Anonymous September 7, 2007 at 9:56 PM , said...

    I cant seem to convert with either. Will ya give me a little tutorial?

     
    Anonymous November 2, 2007 at 9:33 PM , said...

    My experience with the free converters you cite is that they
    leave undesirable hooks on
    your computer - such as spyware.
    That's right! Spyware.

    And what about people who do not use windoze!

    I use Linux.
    My GUI player (xmms) cannot play
    wma files.
    However, mplayer for linux does
    play wma files, but, control
    is rather kludgy - text based.
    There are gui front ends to mplayer,
    but I have not had the time to locate and download them.

    Thank you for all the wonderful
    talk files, and chants.

     
    YouTube to mp4 Converter November 29, 2011 at 4:59 AM , said...

    You are a great resource. Thanks. I will subscribe to this.
    I work on Windows 7 btw.

     
    vob player December 1, 2011 at 1:54 AM , said...

    This converting thing is such a pain!
    Thank you for posting this.

     
    vob to mp4 September 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM , said...

    Really thank you for sharing Switch program. i cant wait to try it.

     
    Unknown October 23, 2012 at 4:33 AM , said...

    A DVD Ripper is really useful, and i always Rip DVD to XOOM for more fun.
    The DVD Ripper I use is nice.

     

Copyright Sonitus Sanctus | Using the GreenTech Theme | Bloggerized by Falcon Hive.com